Translation of EU legislation is an integral part of the approximation of domestic legislation with EU acquis. Translation of EU legal acts is planned based on the Annual Government Legislative Program and based on the priorities arising from Stabilisation Association Agreement.
Initially, MEI will identify European Union legislation already translated into official languages of the Republic of Kosovo, by institutions of the Government of the Republic of Kosovo, authorities and other administrative state bodies. Acts translated by other institutions will be subject to revision procedure and MEI will establish an initial database of translated acts.
Overall, translation process means passing of the European Union legal act through following stages:
1. Preparatory procedure of translation - includes identification of priority areas for translation based on strategic documents of the Government of the Republic of Kosovo, identification of acts for translation, and determination the annual calendar of translation.
2. Translation procedure - is coordinated by the Ministry of European Integration, which prepares, develops and manages the procurement process for realization of translation, in accordance with legislation in force.
3. Revision procedure of translation – includes three stages of the procedure, such as:
(a) Professional revision, which is the revision of the legal act in a substantive aspect of certain professional field;
(b) Linguistic revision, which is the revision of the legal act in a substantive aspect of its linguistic accuracy, and
(c) Legal revision, which is the revision of the legal act in a substantive legal aspect.
4. Approval procedure of translation – is carried out by the Secretary General of the Ministry of European Integration, who is responsible for approval of the translated act.
5. Publication procedure of translation - is performed by the Ministry of European Integration, which is responsible for publication of certified version of translated act.